Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Working on Points!

Quote From Pierre...

Can you explain what can be the advantage of shooting heavy points? I think in Toronto you were shooting a standard set-up (2315 with 100gr. points) with longer arrows. Are you cutting them and going heavier on front to get the same spine?? What are those points?




Currently I am experimenting with shooting heavier tip weight. I am using Rod Menzer's Pro Points. He makes 2613 and 2315 points in varous weights from 180 grain to 300 grain.

You can get your hands on a set by sending a pm to "footsteps" and ask him about them. He takes PayPal.

My initial findings were that the points were very consistent in weight and overall diameter. The finish on the points was nice as well. I used Archer's Advantage to calculate my best arrow match and performed a little arrow voodoo to decide how much overhang I wanted with the new points. I cut off an old dozen and popped them in and ran around the corner and shot a round in the copper closet.

117
120
120
120
119
---------------
596

I thought that was pretty hot, but I am aware of new product syndrome and am on guard for that. I have now shot several NFAA rounds and managed 4 60X games out of 6 rounds. The main thing that struck me was how tight my groups are. I have not been shooting my best, but the new arrow configuration seems to be more forgiving.

Here is what I think....

Heavier tips are seeming to track better indoors and I am beginning to think that they are also more forgiving to shooter errors. I didn't put much thought into heavy points indoors, because the distances are short and typically my arrows have a lot of drag. I didn't think it would matter that much. However, I reserve the right to change my mind on an issue anytime someone or something proves the old paradigm wrong.

So I am in full reverse.... and trying to decide what I think is best now. Give me a little more time for experimentation and I will keep you posted on anymore shifts in my arrow setup universe.

After about 3 weeks of shooting the points, I am adding them permanently to my gear list. These things ROCK!!! and I am soooo happy to get out of screwing with weighting stock point. Whew! THANKS ROD!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, whatever Rod says, I would do. He is the man! Rod, you can give me some tips any time.