Friday, February 29, 2008

Oh so nice when it works

Day three of the new swing and I am still trying to work out a few feel things. I went down to the shoot and got registered for the NAA Nationals. I shot a few practice ends while I was there and the shot still works even at 20 yards. The basement is only 17. (I actually measured it)The lighting is a little more dim in the shooting hall than it is in the basement, so the lack of detail in the X-ring is a little more comforting. My hold actually looks a bit more stable.

I was still having some inconsistencies in my shot timing today, but I was zeroing in on the right feel. I don't have my release trainer here with me so I am just having to shoot in the feel with the bow. A solid string trainer isn't working for me. Make sure it gets in my bowcase for the next trip for sure. My last several practice ends were feeling great and I stubled in on a technique that is working better.

I draw the bow, tighten, slip into anchor, stretch the line and relax my wrist. Just as the yellow comes into view, my stretch hits the click stage of the release. I fine up my aim and begin the inline pull and stretching my wrist straight. Bam! thats all it takes.

The feel is still more complex than I like, but I will continue using it until I can memorize the feel and commit most of it to automatic. I shot about 400 arrows today and my dads old rotten Morrell is holding up pretty well. Its and easy 10 years old and it has the old burlap bag on it. I tried to keep it rotated but I split the bag when I picked it up, The sun has rotted the burlap to the point that it cant be picked up without a bear hug.

Today at 17

120
120
119
120
119
-------------------
598

Now I know that its only 17 yards, but it feels great to have a flashy round. I shoot at 5:00EST so I will get to try it out for real then.

Until later....

GRIV

Oh one more thing.....

Mike I don't care what they say.... They are not right. There is way too much pressure on my release mechanism. With a rope on the release I could cut that pressure in half and my release would work even more slick.

Tim - Good to hear from you buddy. Get that bow out and shoot some.

No comments: